Thursday, March 3, 2011

Its time to get ready for Lent

Three weeks ago, Fr Denis, our parish priest said, "It's time to get ready for Lent!" I laughed to myself, but I knew he was right. I though, continually put everything on the long finger, and I mean everything, so here I am three weeks later, still no further along on the getting ready bit . Have you got a plan for lent? If you are serious about effecting a deep conversion in your life, you need to have a plan. I haven't thought about it at all, so what does that say about me? "I have never known you; away from me, you evil men." are stern words from Jesus that we will hear in next Sunday's Gospel, these words have been pressing upon me over the last few days. I really do need to get my act together.

Lent starts next Wednesday, so it is time to made some decisions about Lenten resolutions. If you get a chance over the coming week please read Pope Benedict's Lenten message, it might provide some inspiration. If you are short on time here is an excellent short quote.

"The Lenten journey, in which we are invited to contemplate the Mystery of the Cross, is meant to reproduce within us "the pattern of his death" (Ph 3: 10), so as to effect a deep conversion in our lives; that we may be transformed by the action of the Holy Spirit, like St. Paul on the road to Damascus; that we may firmly orient our existence according to the will of God; that we may be freed of our egoism, overcoming the instinct to dominate others and opening us to the love of Christ." -excerpt from Pope Benedict's Lenten message


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...