Monday, May 9, 2011

"Hiya", and "Pleased to meet you".


I was taken aback yesterday at Mass, again. When the priest said "Let us offer each other the sign of peace", I turned to my daughter and said "Peace be with you", as I shuck her hand. I repeated this process with the people in the pew behind me. Nothing unusual there, all was well. Next, wait for it, two ladies in front turned around, one said "Hiya", and the other said "Pleased to meet you". It was almost over, before I even had time to process it. But it did shock me. I am still shocked. What is going on in the Church in Ireland at all? So many people appear to not have a clue! The "sign of peace" is not supposed to be a "hello and how are you" moment.   I say bring on the New Translation!

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. (John 14:27)

Here is what Archbishop Chaput has to say. "The peace we speak of in the Mass is not the passing and precarious peace of this world, nor even our good wishes to one another, but the peace of Christ, which the priest extends to the assembly. It is a peace of soul we can confidently acknowledge because we are inseparably united with one another and the Lord through baptism. The priest now invites the assembly to share a sign of peace. As one member of the body of Christ to another, we confirm by our actions the supernatural relationship we share. And we are doing more. The simple handshake, nod of the head, or embrace (the Church mandates no specific gesture) to those around us signifies our spiritual kinship in Christ with every other person in the church. As each of the assembly wishes peace to the persons nearby, we acknowledge the call of each person within the body of Christ." (Archbishop Chaput, 2002)

 

1 comment:

Monica said...

One of the great blessings of the extraordinary form is that there is no sign of peace for the laity. Indeed, even at the ordinary form it is at the priest's discretion. It is a nice idea, but impractical. It will inevitably degenerate into the nonsense you describe. The new Mass is so man-centred!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...