Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Stupidity



I tired, tired of our whole Church/state situation in Ireland at the moment. It is starting to wear me down. I have almost lost the will to read the news as it is overloaded with anti catholic bias. I never thought that we Irish were the brightest sparks on the planet, but intelligent debate is in short supply these days. I'm starting to think that as a people we are a bit stupid. Unfortunately, our leaders (if you could call them that) are "leading" the way.

3 comments:

shane said...

Since I ceased the newspapers, I find myself with a greater sense of ease and hardly any less informed about current affairs.

Fr Gabriel Burke C.C. said...

Caroline,Like Shane I stopped a long time ago from reading Irish newspapers. I sometimes browse them on the web. Once a week I watch RTE news but mainly I watch one of the satellites. I picked up some advice last year while on retreat. The Retreat Mastr told us he never reads or listens to the news until after midday, that way he day has a good beginning.
I see this time in our country as a new beginning. It means we Catholics must come out and fight our corner. We must live our lives radically differently from those around us. We have to emphasise the difference and start forming groups where we can come together as Catholics supporting one another.
Caroline do not despair see it as a new challenge and relish the battle

Patrick said...

Stupidity is not unique to the Irish. What is unusual is that there are so few voices in the public square challenging the stupidity. You will find the same stupidity in, for example, Britain or the US, but at least there you have many people making articulate arguments for the truth. In Ireland, you could probably count such people on your fingers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...