Saturday, August 18, 2012

Novena to St Monica, Day 1

I am not a big Novena person, (whatever one of those looks like???), but today I begin my second novena, which is to St Monica. This novena is inspired by www.prayforchildren.org. The novena prayer, and a daily reflection are available at their website.



I have 4 children starting new schools in September, so I think I really should make a conserted effort to pray for them, and this novena will surely focus my prayers.

St Monica always prayed for her son Augustine, who caused her no end of trouble or heartache.








Novena Prayer 
Exemplary mother of the Great Augustine, you perseveringly pursued your wayward son not with wild threats but with prayerful cries to heaven. Intercede for all mothers in our day so that they may learn to draw their children to God.  Teach them how to remain close to their children, even the prodigal sons and daughters who have sadly gone astray.


Dear St. Monica, troubled wife and mother, many sorrows pierced your heart during your lifetime. Yet, you never despaired or lost faith. With confidence, persistence, and profound faith, you prayed daily for the conversion of your beloved husband, Patricius and your beloved son, Augustine. 


Grant me that same fortitude, patience, and trust in the Lord. Intercede for me, dear St. Monica, that God may favourably hear my plea for (mention your petitions here) and grant me the grace to accept his will in all things, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God forever and ever. Amen. 


First Day 18th August
Remember dear St. Monica, the joy that flooded your heart when Augustine, the son of your prayers and tears, turned his life over to the Lord. Please present our novena petitions before God in whose presence you stand. Obtain for us, if it be his holy will, the graces we request through your intercessory power, that we may experience the happiness of answered prayer. Amen.
Daily Prayer
(3) Hail Mary and (3) Glory Be
St. Monica, pray for us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...