Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Benedictine Bookshop ....

This morning I finally decided to make a long overdue trip to the new community of Benedictine Monks at Silverstream Priory, just outside Stamullen in county Meath. I met the Prior Fr Mark just  over a year ago, when he had just arrived from Tulsa, Oklahoma  The monastery is only 10 minutes down the road, and I simply could not endure any more housework!

I was looking for the St Joseph First Communion Catechism, as I have misplaced the two copies that we already own. (I probably gave them away). Unfortunately, they did not have have any left, so they are going to order it for me. This little catechism is an excellent must have little book for all Catholic children, and it would do most parents no harm either.



I must say, the Benedictine Gatehouse bookshop really is impressive, and Catholic to the core, no more wading through shelves of wishy-washy nonsense in other book shops, so if you are in the area call in. More information on opening hours etc. can be found at cenacleosb.org The lovely volunteer who served me, even made me a cup of coffee!


The Gatehouse Bookshop
Benedictine Monastery Stamullen

While in at the Priory, I met Mother Miriam, a Benedictine sister from Tulsa, who was on retreat. Mother Miriam is a convert from Judaism, and was telling me of the six aspirants who will be joining the community on March 2nd in Tulsa. May God bless them on their journey.

Mother Miriam,



I even managed to meet a lovely priest from Drogheda whom I had never set eyes on before. And of course I bought some books!

Some new books
  • Friendship with Jesus: Pope Benedict XVI Talks to Children on Their First Holy Communion by Pope Benedict XVI, Amy Welborn and Ann Engelhart
  • Prayer for Beginners by Peter Kreeft, Ignatius
  • Be Saints!: An invitation from Pope Benedict XVI by Amy Welborn (editor) and Ann Engelhart

It really was an interesting morning, and in time I will be back to buy some more books!



2 comments:

Lynda said...

This monastic community is a wonderful gift to the Church in Ireland.

Anonymous said...

Any more housework?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...